Sunday, January 2, 2011

Personal Word of Wisdom

-->
I learned a great lesson today. First of all, lets visit my past. When I came home from my mission I had an allergy test done. This is where they prick you with many many needles with different substances to see what you are allergic to. An allergic reaction is where your body gets confused and decides for itself that something that it comes in contact with or ingested in your body is a foreign substance and needs to be bombarded with antibodies. Antibodies surround the ‘foreign’ something and render it useless to attach to other things in your body. But the result of antibodies is a release of histamines. Histamines trigger the inflammatory response of the body. The result is different in everyone. For some it swells their throat and mouth and they can’t breathe. Others get rashes or hives on their skin. My inflammatory response happens in my digestive system and makes me gassy, irregular or blocked. A little graphic, I know, but necessary. I will now explain what I learned today.
I looked at the hospital cafeteria food and saw a yummy piece of chicken garlic pizza. Only being allergic to a few of its ingredients (cheese, bread, cream sauce, chicken) I decided to indulge myself. Later in class when my stomach felt like a hurricane, tornado and gas grenade were passing through my intestines, I realized, “it wasn’t worth it.” I then thought about how I have to obey my own personal Law of Food. There are blessings and consequences as I choose to obey or disobey my law. I have chosen to obey it absolutely in some aspects by not eating ice cream, eggs and corn on the cob. All of which are very delicious, but I have come to realize, “Are not worth it.” The consequences are calamitous and terrible (for myself and others, if you get my meaning). Other parts of my law I rationalize and cross the line occasionally. I never know how or what might be the consequences, but it makes my life very challenging being limited in the food category. I have come to a realization that my law is just an extension or amendment to the Word of Wisdom. While sometimes it seems silly to avoid something on ‘The List,’ it is just better too. It is better to find the blessings in obeying the law than the consequences in disobeying! I’m grateful to have a daily reminder of the truthfulness of the Word of Wisdom. Even when it brings me (and others ;) ) discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment